The Florida Catastrophic Storm Risk Management Center was created by the Florida Legislature in 2007. Housed within the Department of Risk Management/Insurance, Real Estate & Legal Studies in the FSU College of Business, the Center supports the state's ability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from catastrophic storms. Specifically, the Center:
- Coordinates and disseminates research efforts that are expected to have an immediate impact on policy and practices related to catastrophic storm preparedness.
- Coordinates and disseminates information related to catastrophic storm risk management, including but not limited to research and information that benefits businesses, consumers and public policy makers.
- Facilitates Florida's preparedness and responsiveness to catastrophic storms and collaborates with other public and private institutions.
- Creates and promotes studies that enhance the educational options available to risk management and insurance students.
- Publishes and disseminates findings primarily related to risk management.
- Organizes and sponsors conferences, symposia and workshops to educate consumers and policymakers.